Termites may look like tiny, harmless creatures but in reality, you shouldn’t underestimate what they’re capable of doing. Termites can cause huge damage to wooden structures in your home, from foundation posts to floor joists. It’s a must to stop these tiny destructive creatures as soon as possible, or you’ll be dealing with costly repairs.
Facts on Termites
Termites thrive and eat more actively in the spring season. It only takes five months for 60,000 termites to eat 12 inches of 2×4 wood. If you don’t call pest control services in Salt Lake City immediately, then it may be too late for quick fixes, warns Greenside Pest Control.
Signs of Termite Infestation
According to The National Pest Management Association, damage to property due to termite infestation costs up to $5 billion each year. You wouldn’t want to be part of this statistics. Watch out for these signs of termite infestation and get a professional exterminator immediately.
- Shelter Tubes – Termites build shelter tubes out of their saliva, droppings, and soil to protect them against predators and maintain a humid environment. Tube shelters are usually found on walls and are usually at least 10 mm in width.
- Subterranean Tunnels – Some species like the subterranean termites build tunnels instead of tubes. The worker termites use these tubes for transporting food.
- Tapping Noises on Wood – Termites produce a sound to signal their co-workers by tapping their head and mandible on the wood surface. These tapping sounds are usually a sign of a large infestation.
- Termite Frass – Frass or termite droppings look like tiny pellets and are scattered near where termites inhabit.
- Hollow Wood – This is an obvious sign of termite infestation. Termites don’t eat up wood from the top down but vice versa. So watch out for weak parts of a wooden structure, which means it could be already hollow on the inside.
Getting Pest Control Specialists
It’s difficult to eliminate termites on your own because these tiny creatures do their work discreetly. And if you don’t get to eliminate the king and the queen, the colony will still continue to grow. Calling professional exterminators are your best chance to get rid of termites at home completely.